Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Chocolate Biscotti

I needed something sweet, but not too, something crunchy, something chocolatey and something easy....so I made Dorie's Chocolate Biscotti. Brings back some delightful memories....

In the early 80's my husband and I were living on the top floor of a Brooklyn brownstone and I loved to bake and would share my creations with a very old Italian woman who lived on the floor beneath me. She was wonderful and made some fabulous food. One day she brought me her homemade biscotti and I was hooked...it was the traditional type with almond extract and chopped almonds. I loved the texture and taste and asked her how to make it. In her elderly scrawl she printed the recipe with some accompanying illustrations so I would know how to form a log for the first baking and then how to cut them for the second baking. I had always thought there was some secret formula for making these, not something as simple as cutting the partially baked dough and then baking again. Like learning how to do a magic trick!

So Dorie's biscotti has cocoa and espresso powder (2 Tablespoons) and chopped almonds and mini chips. Sounds like a winning combination to me, and it was. And the fact that these cookies are so hardy means that they will taste as good days later. Makes me very happy.

No comments: